The international exchange of Ph.D. students and academic staff at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń
According to the decree no 109 of the Rector of the Nicolaus Copernicus University, all conferences and summer schools, visits of foreign guests and foreign trips of University employees, PhD students and students are suspended up to 30 September 2020 due to the coronavirus panemic.
The most probably PROM programme at the at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun will be extended until the end of September 2021. but official information will be avaible at the end of June 2020.
All granted scholarships will be postponed. I some PhD Student will not be able to complete internship, or will finish PhD study please contact with dr. Lukasz Peplowski – PROM at NCU project coordinator.
According to the decree of the Rector of the Nicolaus Copernicus University, all conferences and summer schools are cancelled until 30 June 2020 due to the coronavirus epidemic. Therefore, we would like to inform you that the 52 Symposium on Mathematical Physics conference is being postponed to 2021 and it will not be possible to fund participation in it from the PROM programme. The MoDaL summer school is postponed to September 2020. The most probable term of MoDaL school is 16-20 September. All PhD students who received funding to participate in the MoDaL summer school can take part in it. If someone is unable to attend the school, please contact the PROM coordinator.
Considering current difficult situation, we sadly inform that International Summer School on Megaflood Landform and Sediments is cancelled in May 2020 and will be postponed likely until spring 2021. Because PROM program must be finisihed at the and of October 2020 we need to cancel all cofundings for this summer school.
According to coronavirus issue and some problems with PhD student’s email boxes additional application recruitment in the PROM program for PhD Students from NCU applying for short research internships
submission Deadline is extended to March 27, 2020.
Information related to the coronavirus epidemic
Due to the spreading coronavirus epidemic around the world, we would like to inform you that it is possible to postpone your planned an international internship or conference trip. However, all trips must end in September 2020 at the latest.
If the conference was cancelled due to the coronavirus epidemic or postponed after September 2020, a PhD student can attend to another conference. Please send information about this to the Project coordinator and the Assistant project coordinator.
We also recommend to all PhD students to buy flexible airline tickets with the possibility of reschedule trip or purchase insurance guaranteeing reimbursement. We also recommend booking accommodation with the possibility of cancellation.
Additional application recruitment in the PROM program
for PhD Students from NCU applying for short research internships
will be open on March 2, 2020.
Submission Deadline is March 16, 2020.
The aim of the PROM project, funded by Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange NAWA (agreement no.: PPI/PRO/2019/1/00015/U/00001), is to increase the level of internationalization in research and education during Ph.D. studies at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (NCU) in the field of Natural sciences in disciplines: astronomy, computer and information sciences, mathematics, biological sciences, chemical sciences, physical sciences or Earth and related environmental science. The project is carried out between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020 and consists of three main types of activities:
Action I Co-funding of the participation of Ph.D. students in short international exchanges such as research internships, workshops, etc., which are closely related to the subjects of their Ph.D. theses; co-funding includes visits of NCU Ph.D. students abroad and internships of foreign Ph.D. students at NCU;
Action II Co-funding of the active participation of Ph.D. students from NCU in international conferences related to the subject of doctoral theses and for foreign Ph.D. students and invited speakers at two conferences organized by NCU:
- “52 Symposium on Mathematical Physics” which will be organized on June 15-18, 2020, at the Faculty of Physics, Astronomy and Informatics, NCU;
- “Membrane Materials – Modification and Separation (M3-S)” which will be organized on September 7-9, 2020 by Faculty of Chemistry, NCU;
During conferences Ph.D. students will be obliged to present the results of their research in the form of a conference poster or presentation.
Conference fee for Ph.D. students attending in conferences organized by NCU will not be covered from PROM funds.
Action III Co-funding of the participation of foreign Ph.D. students and invited lecturers in the two summer schools organized by NCU:
- “International Summer School on Megaflood Landforms and Sediments“ on May 24-28, 2020 organized by Faculty of Earth Sciences and Spatial Management in Suwalki city;
- “Modeling of Drugs and Ligands“ (MoDaL) interdisciplinary summer school which will be organized on June 22-26, 2020, at the Faculty of Physics, Astronomy, and Informatics NCU;
Rules of the co-funding
- Accommodation and travel expenses are calculated on the basis of a lump sum taking into account the length of stay and the distance to the destination (Annex No. 1 to the Regulations), as well as in the case of conference/workshop abroad attended by NCU Ph.D. students – the full costs of fee specified by the meeting organizers (e.g. the conference fee).
As part of the project, two calls for applications will be opened on October 10, 2019 and January, 20, 2020. The respective deadlines will be November 6, 2019 (Action I and II) and February 7, 2020 (Action III and supplementary call for Actions I and II). The list of participants selected for co-funding will be announced on November 28, 2019 (1st call) and February 27, 2020 (2nd call), respectively.
Applications shall be submitted in English by forms on website of PROM project .
A complete application should contain:
- CV with list of publications (max 2 pages A4),
- cover letter specifying the connection between the planned trip and the theme of the Ph.D. thesis. In the case of Action III also the expected impact of the school on scientific plans,
- (optional) recommendation letter from the Ph.D. advisor,
- (in the case of Action II) information about the planned conference presentation and abstract (max 1 page A4)
- (in the case of Action I) a letter from the internship advisor or meeting organizer,
- estimate of the cost of the trip (Annex No. 3 to the Regulations),
- statement confirming the knowledge of the terms and conditions and about the need for the agreement to process personal data (Annex No. 4 to the Regulations).
The submitted application is assessed by the Qualification Committee (Action I and Action II for Ph.D. students from NCU) or Scientific Organizing Committees (Action II for Ph.D. Students abroad NCU and Action III) in formal terms and substantive basis. They will take into account:
- scientific achievements of the applicant, in particular scientific publications in international journals with the leading role of the applicant,
- scientific activity and motivation of the applicant to pursue a scientific career; in case of Action I: also in the context of the planned collaboration with the foreign collaborator; in case of Action III: also potential impact of the school for further research plans;
- research plan (Action I), taking into account whether the theme of the internship is connected to the PhD thesis,
- quality of the planned conference presentation (Action II and III),
- prestige of the conference or the host institution (Action I and II),
- prior knowledge in the theme of the summer school and its connection to the PhD thesis (Action III).
Selection of the project participants is based solely on substantive criteria such as Ph.D. student achievements and research plans, regardless of gender.
The project is open to participants with disabilities. If it is necessary it is the participant’s role to provide a written application using email address email@example.com explaining the scope of necessary extra support needed to participate in the project.
Information about previous edition of PROM can be found here.